Saturday, August 7, 2010

Tram greetings.


(This was first a response to Miss Nea's blog post and then it started a life of it's own. Well it just got too long and turned into it's own post here.) :) ...

I am guilty of this at times. To start speaking to someone as we are waiting for or on a bus or tram. I guess as a foreigner I can better get away with it more? Who knows. Yet most often I do keep to myself.
Also there are times that I am approached. Well in Sweden I have been on several occasions, not in Norway. I have struck up conversations with people in Norway, but no one has with me.

I just got home from vacation in Sweden and I do love the ambiance with the bus and trams in Göteborg, so perhaps at times when I am enjoying the feeling of just being there, that causes me to stand out.
Just a few nights back a man named Henrik approached me waiting for a tram. Speaking Swedish at first till he found I couldn't fully understand then switched to English. We spoke for a bit and on the tram he sat across the isle from me. Then when his stop came, he bid me farewell and went on his way.
It kind of feels like getting a glimpse of a book you never would have gotten a chance to ever read.

My mom always taught me never to talk to strangers. I think it was a pet peeve of hers since I did anyway. At least now I am more aware of the when I do take a chance and greet a stranger.

Have you ever?

No comments:

Post a Comment